Date: 24th March 2015 at 1:31pm
Written by:

Manager Phil Brown has reflected on a poor week as automatic promotion hopes diminished after a loss to Burton and a Cambridge draw.

Speaking to the Official Site after the two one loss to Burton, the gaffer bemoaned a poor second half for the loss.

‘I hold myself responsible for everything that happened. I blame myself for that final substitution. I made the change and we ended up losing the game, so it’s my fault. We applied ourselves in the right manner in the first half. We got a penalty out of nothing, but we didn’t take the opportunity. He takes his chance ten minutes later, but there’s no excuses for that second half performance.’

Brown goes on to say he can’t legislate for the second half drop off, but ultimately Burton came out as worthy winners ‘but I’m not here to applaud them.’

‘It simply wasn’t good enough and not acceptable. We will have to fight more in the next nine games. We were physical in the first half but weren’t in the second. We didn’t compete well enough. They went down to ten men and that galvanised them. The second half lacked idea and any kind of positive thought process.

Moving on to the draw against Cambridge, the gaffer wasn’t too pleased with that performance overall either as he went on to say.

‘We didn’t do enough to win the game. Richard Money’s apologised for playing in an ugly way, but it’s our responsibility to try and win the game. The opposition came for a point and they got what they set out to achieve. We did everything apart from the final part of football. It’s still a point and a clean sheet. Wycombe and Luton haven’t played today and Newport and Plymouth drew as well.’

He added that again we were lacking a ‘spark’ in our game and that for him is about mentality once more, and being in the position we were we needed a reaction and we certainly need one now with automatic promotion very unlikely but the play off route still definitely in our hands.

On that score, in the second half he felt there were improvements made by the group, but not enough to get the win.

‘There was a bit of spark was missing from our game. It’s about the mentality of the group. We had to defend the long ball game in the first half and we had to improve in the second. We asked them to raise the tempo and raise their game. We did, we raised the spirits, but they held us to the point.’

With the injury sustained by Luke Prosser, immediately after the game the gaffer said that spinal problems were a concern for the 26 year old but more would be known shortly and he was off to the hospital after the game himself to see him.

‘I’ll have to visit Luke in hospital tonight. He has pins and needles in his arms and that’s a sign of spinal problems. However, I don’t want to go overboard. It’s never a nice thing to see and it’s the duty and responsibility of the football Club. We will have to deal with it over the next 24-48 hours and we’ll have an update on Monday. Luke will get all the support he needs.’

He also said he felt that Kevan Hurst had picked up a hamstring tear given his reaction in the game, which is a shame as well because he’s been coming into good form for us of late he felt.

Join The Vital Debate